On April 6, 1959, seventeen boys, girls, and adults gathered in the old St. John’s Lutheran Church for the first Sunday School hour of what was to become the First Baptist Church of Rosemount. The building had been purchased for $7500. Shortly after this first Sunday the charter members adopted their constitution. The church was then incorporated on June 17, 1959.
The first pastors were Rev. Herb Rodgers (1959), Rev. John Swearingen (1959-1965), and Rev. Chester Jackson (1965-1967).
The church having grown to about 35 members contacted Rev. Ed Johnson. He was pastoring the Maple Springs Baptist Church in Dayton, Tennessee at the time, and completing his seminary training at Temple Baptist Theological Seminary in Chatanooga, Tennessee under the leadership of Dr. Lee Roberson. After candidating at the church and receiving a call, Pastor Johnson informed the church that he would come as pastor. He began his ministry on June 17, 1967.
For thirty-five years, Pastor Johnson led First Baptist Church to some great days. In 1967, he began a Vacation Bible Time program. The next year saw the first of many Sunday School campaigns. In 1970, ground was broken for a new building on the corner of 145th and Diamond Path. The Sunday School attendance climbed to 195. This year also saw the beginning of the Bus Ministry at First Baptist Church with a bus Pastor Johnson affectionately nicknamed “Humpy.” In 1971, First Baptist School began (K4-4th grade the first year). In 1973 a new auditorium was built. In 1974 and 1975 First Baptist Church received the honor from Christian Life Magazine of having the “Fastest Growing Sunday School in Minnesota.” On May 7, 1978, the Sunday School attendance record of 1,520 was set. A new gymnasium was also constructed in 1978. In 1979 Moody Monthly also recognized First Baptist Church as having the “Fastest Growing Sunday School in Minnesota.”
There were many other highlights over the years under Pastor Johnson. After thirty-five years of faithful service, on June 16, 2002, Pastor Johnson handed over the job of senior pastor to his associate pastor, Pastor Dave Clear. Pastor Johnson then became “Pastor Emeritus.” Since 2002, Pastor Clear has led the church to some exciting days as well. Sunday School campaigns, Vacation Bible Time, the Christian School, the Spanish ministry have all flourished. First Baptist celebrated fifty years in existence in 2009. The church continues to be a lighthouse in our area where the Gospel continues to shine!
Pastor Dave Clear
While Dr. David Clear serves tirelessly as Senior Pastor of FBC, he is also a passionate student of the Bible, as evidenced by the weekly delivery of his preaching and teaching. His detailed biblical approach is woven into practical presentations that benefit people in their everyday lives. The result is a body of believers who grow, and continue to grow, under his leadership.
Pastor Clear is married to Valerie Nibbe Clear, a 1980 graduate of FBS. They have two children, Cyndi and Jonathan. Pastor Clear served as a Youth Director and Associate Pastor for many years under Dr. Ed Johnson, Jr., before his installation as Senior Pastor is 2002. He is a giving man, dedicated to the process of Ephesians 4:12, “For the perfecting of the saints, for the work of the ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ.”
Dr. Charlie Graves
Dr. Charlie Graves serves as a Ministry Assistant at First Baptist Church and Secondary Administrator at First Baptist School. His life verse is Philippians 1:6, “Being confident of this very thing that he which hath begun a good work in you will perform it until the day of Jesus Christ.”
Dr. Graves considers it a privilege to serve the Lord at First Baptist since 1994. He thoroughly enjoys teaching and preaching to young people as evidenced by ministry involvement in Sunday school, the incarcerated, Christian school chapel, Bible class, and various other opportunities. Charlie has been married to Julia since 1991, and they have six children.
Bro. Erik McKay
Mr. Erik McKay grew up at First Baptist Church and is an alumnus of First Baptist School. After college and post-graduate studies, he had the privilege to return not only to his alma mater to teach young people, but also to serve as a Ministry Assistant and Youth Director in the church he faithfully attended for many years.
Brother Erik’s passion to help and meet the needs of young people shows in his desire to work alongside the teenagers in our youth group. His mentoring approach, combined with a caring spirit, serves our young people well. Brother Erik was married to Kari in 2015. He enjoys spending time reading, playing sports, and spending time helping our young people.
Bro. Stephen Fletcher
Mr. Stephen Fletcher has served as a Ministry Assistant at First Baptist since 2015. In addition to Christian school teaching responsibilities, he serves as the Bus Director for First Baptist Church. He brings much experience from teen and college days working in student ministries. This has been a valuable asset with the weekly opportunities afforded to him in helping children of all ages grow in their spiritual lives.
Mr. Fletcher married his wife, Kimberly, in 2016. He is an avid sports fan favoring Chicago teams and also has a new-found love of coaching basketball and seeing teenagers grow through a solid sports program, something he realized from his own experiences as a teenager. He enjoys history with an emphasis on the World War II era. Mr. Fletcher has a Christ-honoring influence on young people for righteousness and godly living.
What We Believe
– We believe that the Bible, both the Old and New Testaments, was given by inspiration of God, and is our only rule in matters of faith and practice.
– We believe in creation, not evolution; that man was created by the direct act of God and in the image of God.
– We believe that Adam and Eve, in yielding to the temptation of Satan, became fallen creatures. We believe that all men are born in sin.
– We believe that this statement of faith is a basis for Christian fellowship, and that all born-again men and women who sincerely accept it can and should live together in peace, and that it is their Christian duty to promote harmony among the members of the Body of Christ, who are walking separately from the world both in theory and in practice.
– We believe God has preserved His Word for us today. First Baptist Church uses only the King James Version for all preaching and teaching. We maintain a very firm conviction that the King James Version is God’s preserved Word for us today in the English language.
– We believe in the Incarnation, the Virgin Birth, and the Deity of our Lord and Saviour, Jesus Christ. We believe in His vicarious and substitutional Atonement for the sins of mankind by the shedding of His blood on the cross. We believe in the resurrection of His body from the tomb, His ascension into Heaven, and that He is now our Advocate. We believe that He is personally coming again.
– We believe in His power to save men from sin. We believe in the necessity of the New Birth, and that this New Birth is through the regeneration by the Holy Spirit. We believe that salvation is by grace through faith, plus nothing–minus nothing, in the atoning blood of our Lord and Saviour, Jesus Christ.